Lessons from Russia

During the early 90's there was great spiritual interest in Russia, and there were many opportunities. In the region of Moscow where I lived, I was given permission to lead lectures every evening in the local school building. Each night I would go through a chapter of Romans.

During one of the first meetings, a young priest stood up and interrupted me. “Why did you come to Russia?” he demanded. “Do you think there is no Christianity in Russia?” Some others in the audience tried to quiet him and defended me. I replied, “Believers in America have been praying many years for the church in Russia. Now that the doors are open, everyone is eager to come and help. Sometimes we haven’t been wise in understanding how to do that. I don’t want to do anything to harm the church. I just want to help.” He then let me continue.

Afterwards I invited him to my nearby apartment. Once inside my home, I suggested we read a chapter from the Gospels and discuss it. I placed an icon on my bookshelf, crossed myself and asked him to pray.  Then we had a very warm and encouraging discussion of the passage we read. After that, we stood and faced the icon again as he prayed. I wasn’t prepared for what came next. He embraced me and kissed me. He asked if we could meet again. He said he never expected such a meeting when I invited him, and it was something he needed.  We continued to meet weekly. When criticized for meeting with a “Protestant”, he answered, “Steve crosses himself and prays before the icon.” His critics would reply, “Well, maybe it’s OK then.”

The second evening of the lecture I finished Romans 2 by saying, “So far we have heard bad news, an honest diagnosis of our condition. Tomorrow we will hear good news.” The next evening, after having gone through Romans 3, a woman came up to me in tears. She said, “I thought you said it was going to be good news. I only heard bad news.” I was totally mystified by her reaction. This was my first conscious introduction to a distinction between shame and guilt.

Traditionally, in America, we have focused on guilt rather than shame when we have presented the Gospel. Jesus has paid for our sins. We are forgiven. In America, as a rule we are raised to feel good about ourselves. Although I sometimes do bad things, I feel I am  basically a good person. Self-esteem and self-confidence are cultural values in America. Such is not the case in many other countries.

How would you describe the difference between guilt and shame?

To be continued.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Experiencing the Gospel

Vodka and TV

Overcoming the Accuser